Know someone who is dealing with domestic violence? Here's how you can help:
1. Don’t judge the victim (you are not in his or her situation).
2. Avoid telling the victim that he or she needs to leave; instead, discuss a safety plan.
3. Don’t tell her that the abuser is a jerk, that you never liked him. That could drive her away or make her feel she has to defend him.
4. Become the victim’s confidante. Listen to everything they tell you. You could be a good witness later by backing up his story.
5. Assure the person that you will keep what they tell you confidential. This will help you gain his or her trust so he or she will be more likely to call you if he or she finds herself in a serious situation.